Monday, July 29, 2013

The most popular souvenir in Taiwan: Pineapple Shortcake

If you visit Switzerland, for sure you'll bring some boxes of chocolates home. What will you bring home if you visit Taiwan? Yes, Pineapple Shortcake!! They are extremely tasty and popular.

Here is my own version with sweet potato as an addition in the filling. Why? Not only because sweet potato has a lot of health benefits and its sweetness matched well with the sourness of pineapples, but it's also a symbol of Taiwan. Taiwan is a narrow shaped island just like a sweet potato. I would like to call my pineapple shortcake, the Formosa Pineapple Shortcake, to recognize my beloved home country. It will be my first product if I decide to market it.

Enjoy a piece of nice pineapple shortcake with a cup of coffee or tea. How wonderful life is!


Common filling is on the left, with just pineapple paste. My own creation with sweet potatoes is on the right.




To not leave my younger son out, I also created an allergen-free version. I'm not satisfied with this patch as the shortcake is not crumbly enough and some unknown ingredients in the vegetable margarine actually triggered my son's allergy. Bad! I'll try pure coconut oil next time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment